Pocket spring mattresses come in a huge number of different models, sizes, and prices, which can make choosing the right one rather confusing.
Here’s an overview of the best pocket sprung mattress for your needs.
Best Pocket Sprung Mattresses 2021
1. Herdysleep pocket springs
Herdysleep pocket springs have been developed to provide a better night’s sleep, both for those suffering from backs issues as well as those just wanting a good nights’ sleep.
The mattress is 8 inches deep with each segment containing very strong, 5-way pocket springs that have been designed to withstand up to 4 tonnes of pressure and work together to provide superior body support compared with most other mattresses of this type.
- You can choose from a large range of models which includes almost every type of mattress you could want, from single mattresses to super kings.
- All Herdysleep comes with a pillow top layer that provides additional levels of softness and support.
- Some customers have been disappointed with the amount of squashing down that happens on the mattress, by some of the springs that are working against each other.
You can get a cheap pocket sprung mattress online for around £650.
2. Silentnight Hadleigh 800 Pocket Memory Mattress
The Silentnight Hadleigh 800 Pocket Memory Mattress has a deep, luxurious pocket spring cushioning system with a great orthopedic feel.
Each triple-coil spring pocket is supported by microswitches which provide pressure relief and outstanding edge support, while each mattress segment contains a single layer of memory foam for additional softness and comfort.
- A great value memory foam mattress with a top layer of soft, supportive pocket springs for a luxurious feel.
- The 5-inch depth might not be deep enough for extremely heavy people who need very strong support from their mattress.
It is possible to get a discount online and buy this mattress for around £300-£500.
3. Harrison Spinks Clifton Cashmere Mattress
The Harrison Spinks Clifton Cashmere Mattress is a 9-inch thick mattress that’s built around 450gsm of cashmere and memory foam, which provides a superb combination of comfort and support for your body.
It uses pocket springs to distribute weight evenly across your body so you have fantastic pressure relief, while the cashmere/memory foam layers work together to provide softness and support.
- The Harrison Spinks Clifton Cashmere Mattress has a luxurious feel thanks to the cashmere and memory foam combination which offers fantastic body support.
- Some people find memory foam mattresses too hot in summer, so this may not be best for you if you live in a warmer climate.
This is an expensive mattress, but you can get it for around £2000-£2125.
4. Hypnos – Willow Sublime Pocket Sprung Mattress
The Hypnos – Willow Sublime has an 8-inch pocket sprung cushioning system that’s topped with a layer of cashmere and quilted to give it its beautiful feel.
Each triple-coil spring pocket is designed to work against each other, providing great mattress support for your body weight while the cashmere/quilted layers give you further levels of softness and comfort.
- You can choose from a wide range of sizes and models, including pillow-top mattresses that provide even more cushioning and support.
- It is quite an expensive mattress so it’s probably best if you’re looking for something to last many years rather than just for a few years.
It is possible to buy this mattress online for under £1500-£1800, but it might cost you closer to £2200 if you want one of the models on offer that have thick pillow tops.
5. Novo Natural 2000 Pocket Sprung Orthopaedic Mattress
The Novo Natural 2000 Pocket Sprung Orthopaedic Mattress is a 10 inch thick, high-end mattress that has been built to provide you with a great night’s sleep for a long time.
It uses steel-sprung side rails and deep pocket springs which run from head to foot on both sides of the mattress.
The memory foam top layer helps to give you fantastic pressure relief, while the cashmere cover adds an extra element of softness and comfort.
- This is a mattress built for support so it’s ideal if you’re extremely heavy or want something that will last for many years.
- It’s quite an expensive mattress, but this is because it is built to last a very long time.
You can get this mattress online for around £300-£400.
What is a pocket sprung mattress?
A pocket sprung mattress is one that uses individual springs to provide support and comfort.
These springs are usually encased in their own fabric pocket so they will move with you as you shift position, while some models may also have foam or other materials added for the softer mattress.
This type of mattress is particularly popular because it can be adjusted to suit your body weight, which means you can have the support you need without being too heavily pressured.
This type of mattress is usually fairly expensive compared to other models, but they are built for durability so if you want something that will last several years then this might be one to consider.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Pocket sprung mattresses can be adjusted to suit your weight, so if you’re very heavy or light then the mattress will provide the right level of support.
- When you first lie down on one of these mattresses it takes a few seconds for your body to settle into a position because the springs are doing their job. This means that when you first lie down it can feel a little strange, but once you get used to the sensation it’s great.
- They tend to be more durable than other models so if you want something that will last for several years this may be one to consider.
- They are usually very comfortable and suitable for people of all ages and weights because each spring is designed to provide the right level of support for your weight.
- Pocket sprung mattresses are more expensive than most other models so it’s best if you want something that will last several years rather than just a few years.
- They can be quite heavy to move around and need to be assembled when they’re delivered, which some people find frustrating.
If you’re looking for a pocket sprung mattress then there are several models in the mattress industry that may be suitable for you, but they can vary in terms of durability and comfort.
Pocket sprung mattresses are one of the most popular choices for people looking to buy a mattress, but they aren’t the only mattress type available so it’s worth finding out more about each model before you decide which would be best for you.
There are the following types of mattresses available:
1. Memory foam:
These mattresses are well known for their ability to provide you with a good level of comfort and support, while they can also be used to give you relief if you suffer from aches or pains because of your weight.
Memory foam mattresses will mould to the exact shape of your body so they’re great if you need extra support in certain areas.
However, they can be quite expensive so if you need something cheaper then this might not be the right choice for you.
2. Latex foam:
These mattresses are ideal if you want something firm but comfortable, with many models having a thick layer of high-density foam to provide additional support and comfort.
They are breathable, dust-mite resistant, and hypoallergenic so are good for people who have allergies or similar problems with their mattress.
They are also often fairly durable so will probably last several years without developing any faults.
3. Pocket sprung:
These are mattresses that have coils inside them that move independently to allow you to choose whether you need a firm or soft mattress.
They are great if you’re looking for something that will mould around your body and provide extra support, but they can also be expensive so it might not be suitable if you want something affordable.
4. Latex/Memory foam:
These mattresses combine both latex foam and memory foam to provide a good level of comfort and support, while they also have pressure relief mattresses that will mould to your body shape.
They are fairly expensive but can provide you with a comfortable night’s sleep for several years if they’re made from high-quality materials.
These are some of the most popular mattress types available today, as innerspring are very durable and will usually last you several years without developing any faults.
They also provide support for your body so if you’re looking for something that won’t cause you aches or pains then this might be the best choice.
However, they can be quite expensive compared to other models so it’s worth researching prices before buying one of these.
6. Hybrid mattress:
Hybrid mattresses are ones that have both springs and foam, with the coil spring working to provide good support for your body while the memory foam layer moulds to your shape and gives you comfort.
This type of mattress can be made from high-quality materials which will mean it lasts for several years without developing any faults, but it can also be expensive.
7. Pocket coil/Bonnell:
This type of mattress is similar to a pocket sprung mattress but doesn’t have the springs inside it, instead of having strong coils which provide you with good support and keep their shape for several years.
They are fairly durable so will probably last you several years without developing any faults, while they can also give you a good level of comfort for several years.
They are also easy to turn over, which means they’ll last longer because there’s less wear and tear on them.
You’ve probably noticed that the list above includes different types of mattresses that have very different features, so it’s worth researching each type carefully before deciding which one will be the best option for you.
If you find any models that have features you like then it’s a good idea to look at some reviews before buying one, as reading other people’s experiences with using different types of mattresses will give you a better idea of whether they’re worth buying or not.
If you’re looking for a new mattress then you’ll have noticed that they are sold in different sizes, although it can be confusing to work out which size will be the best option for your bed.
To help make this easier for you, here is some information about the most common mattress sizes:
- Single (3ft x 6ft 3in) – This is the smallest mattress available, and it’s usually used for children.
- Small double (4ft x 6ft 3in) – The small double mattress is slightly bigger than a single as it can be used by adults as well as children.
- Double (4ft x 6ft 6in) – This size of mattress is the most popular option for couples who want medium-firm mattresses.
- King size (5ft x 6ft 6in) – This mattress is slightly bigger than the double, so it’s great if you often have guests staying or you like to stretch out on your bed.
- Super king (6ft x 6ft 6in) – This mattress is even bigger than the king size mattress, so it’s ideal if you or your partner likes to spread out when sleeping.
- Cot (3ft x 6ft 3in) – A cot is most commonly sold in single measurements, but some mattress retailers do sell them with slightly wider mattresses so they can be used for a small child who needs a bit more space.
- Super cot (3ft 3in x 6ft 3in) – This mattress is slightly wider than a single, so it’s ideal for taller children or those with longer legs.
- Emperor bed mattress (5ft x 6ft 4in) – The emperor bed is mainly used by European and Asian people, as this size of mattress is more suited to the measurements used in these regions.
- Split king (3ft 6in x 6ft 6in) – This mattress is a double that has been cut down the middle so it can be used on two separate bases for couples who want their own sleeping space instead of being pushed together.
- Goliath single (6ft 6in x 6ft 6in) – This is the biggest mattress that’s usually available, so it’s ideal for people who are very tall or need more space in their bed.
Choosing the best mattress
When choosing the best pocket sprung mattress what you’re looking for is a model that will give you a level of comfort that suits your needs, while also being suitable for your budget.
You should also take into account the following:
I. Type Of Coil
a) This is one of the most important factors you should look at when choosing a mattress, as the coil types are very different.
b) If for example, you want something that will mould to your body then you might prefer an innerspring or pocket sprung model, while if you want something that’s firmer then memory foam or latex model might suit you better.
c) Carefully read reviews and look at user comments to see what other people think about the coil type, as this can give you a good idea of how comfortable it is compared with other models.
II. Number Of Coils
a) As well as looking at the coil type you should also look at the number of coils in each mattress, as having too few coils can mean your body sinks into it which can cause pressure or joint pain.
b) However, if there are too many then it will be much firmer and this can also lead to joint pain.
c) It’s a good idea to look at the thickness of the coils in each mattress, as a thicker coil will provide better support and be more durable.
a) Another important factor when choosing a pocket sprung mattress is comfort, as this is one of the key selling points for this type.
b) If you want a model that provides a level of comfort that suits your needs then you need to carefully read reviews and look at user comments on different models, as this can give you a good idea of how comfortable they are.
a) Another factor of sprung mattresses is durability, with many people looking for a model that will last several years before developing any faults.
b) This is another thing you should look for in reviews, as reading other people’s experiences with the different models will give you a better idea of how durable they are.
a) The price is something else that affects people’s decisions about which type of pocket sprung mattress to buy, as this varies considerably depending on the model and mattress brands.
b) However, before setting your budget you should carefully read reviews and look at user comments as this can give you a much better idea of how durable a mattress is compared with other models, which in turn will give you a good idea of what budget to set.
a) Construction is another important factor to look at when choosing which mattress to buy, as it can affect both comfort and durability.
b) If for example, you want something that will mould to your body then an innerspring or pocket sprung model might be more suitable, while if you want something firmer then memory foam or latex model might be better.
c) If you want a model that can be turned then look for one with handles on the sides, as this also gives it better durability.
VII. Type Of Bed Base
a) Another factor you should look at is the type of bed base, as this can affect how long your mattress will last.
b) If you have a wooden slatted bed frame then an innerspring or pocket sprung model might be better as they offer more support, while if you have a divan base then memory foam or latex model might be better as they are less likely to sag.
a) When choosing a mattress you also need to consider the size, as this will have an impact on which model is best suited to your needs.
b) If for example, you have a single bed or child’s cot then a small pocket sprung mattress might be suitable, while if you have a double or king-size bed then a larger pocket sprung mattress might be better.
a) When buying a new mattress it’s important to consider a warranty, as this can give you peace of mind that the product you buy is of good quality.
b) Most manufacturers will offer a warranty period of 25 years, with this covering any manufacturing defects.
c) However it’s important to check the terms and conditions for what is covered under the warranty before buying, as not all faults will be covered.
What is a Pocket Spring Gauge?
Pocket spring gauge is a metal wire made of alloy and steel, which is by way of winding it into a coil.
The finished product will be then wrapped on the mattress base to provide support for the body.
When you feel that your mattress has lost its bounce and no longer springs back when you sit or lie down on it, then it’s time to buy a new one.
This is because of the pocket spring which has broken and no longer responds.
The best gauge depends on what you need from your mattress, as there are different gauges for firmness and durability.
Choosing the best mattress fibres & natural fillings
This is a popular decision among people when it comes to choosing their pocket spring mattress.
Generally, the most common types of fibre and filling are:
- Blended British fleece wool – It is ideal for people who suffer from allergies and breathing problems. It is hypoallergenic, anti-bacterial, and allows the dissipation of heat so that you don’t feel too warm at night.
- Silk – it creates a soft, smooth, and silky feel to the mattress. It also benefits those who love a cooler sleep as silk is renowned for its heat dissipation properties.
- Cotton – it is breathable and creates a soft, comfy spring mattress. If you want to be sure of the best quality product, choose one with high thread count cotton fillings post washing, as it ensures that no chemicals are used during manufacturing.
- Foam – suitable for people who want a firm mattress as it’s not too soft, plus it allows heat dissipation for a cool sleep.
- Buckwheat – if you love a firm and supportive spring mattress, then this is an ideal fibre to choose. It also regulates your body temperature to ensure that you don’t feel either too hot or too cold at night.
- Latex – it allows pressure point relief and is plush, soft, and smooth. It also regulates your body temperature to ensure that you don’t feel too hot or cold at night.
- Gassaway – if you want a medium-firm mattress that does not sag, then this is a perfect choice. It will provide great support for your spine to ensure that you have a comfortable night’s sleep. It also allows heat dissipation for a cool mattress.
There is also Cotton & Wool type that is ideal if you want the best of both worlds, as it provides all the benefits of cotton to provide comfort and wool to keep you warm at night.
Why do mattress companies hide what’s inside their beds?
With the massive increase in the popularity of memory foam mattresses, this question has become more relevant.
The simple answer is that the companies are fairly limited with regards to what they can put inside their mattresses.
Since people are becoming much more aware of things like flame retardants and formaldehyde leaching out of bedding, these chemicals have been phased out of a lot of mattress components, including memory foam.
The truth is that the majority of bedding products are treated with some sort of chemical fire retardant or barrier to prevent other chemicals from leaching into the surrounding atmosphere. The problem has been exacerbated by the fact that these kinds of treatments don’t degrade over time, and can actually make the mattress unsafe to sleep on after years of use.
The companies don’t want this to be common knowledge because they will lose money if their customers are aware that their mattresses are considered dangerous for sleeping. At the end of the day, it is your responsibility as a consumer to familiarize yourself with what you’re buying before you put it in your bedroom.
How many springs should a pocket sprung mattress have?
There is no definitive answer to this question. It really depends on your personal preference and what you need from a mattress.
Generally speaking, the higher the number of springs in a pocket sprung mattress, the firmer it will be as each spring has less opportunity to do its work.
In contrast, if there are fewer springs, they carry more weight, which results in a more plush mattress.
Are these mattresses better than memory foam?
Pocket sprung mattresses and memory foam are quite different from each other.
Pocket sprung beds use springs to give you the feeling of sinking into sumptuous comfort, whereas memory foam is a viscoelastic material that adapts to your body temperature and weight.
This means it can be quite firm and hug every contour of your body. Pocket springs also breathe better than memory foam.
A traditional pocket sprung mattress can trap moisture, which is why some people wake up with hot and bothered skin.
Memory foam tends to be more active when it comes to the moisture management and can release any excess heat into the surrounding air, whereas pocket springs allow that excess heat and moisture to dissipate because of their design.
Is it important to have a firm mattress?
Whilst there is no hard and fast rule about the firmness of your mattress, most people need at least some degree of support in their bed.
If you sleep on your back or front, then you should look for a level of comfort that corresponds to these positions.
This means that if you sleep on your front you should opt for a firmer surface that gives ample support to your spine.
Back sleepers might want the opposite effect of sinking into their mattress, which means they need something softer.
Is a pocket spring mattress the best option?
Pocket springs are one of the most popular types of spring bedding around.
They are individually wrapped in fabric pockets, which allows them to move independently of each other.
This ensures that your spine is supported at all times and doesn’t have to fight against two or more layers.
As sprung mattress manufacturers use different wraps around their springs, this can be one of the most effective ways to personalize your mattress.
Is it true that you need to rotate a pocket sprung mattress?
You should be rotating your mattress on occasion, regardless of whether or not it is a pocket sprung variety; they are no different in this regard.
Rotating them simply gives them a longer life as typically one side will wear out before the other, which means it’s time to put the mattress on its feet and flip it over.
Are pocket sprung mattresses good for your back?
It is all about finding the right mattress level of firmness for you.
For side sleepers, it is advisable to go for a firmer mattress that gives adequate support to the spine.
This way, you’re less likely to sustain injuries and can get on with more enjoyable things in life.
The last thing you want is to wake up feeling like you’ve been hit by a truck because your mattress is too soft, which can happen if you opt for something that’s unsuitable for your sleeping position.
The pocket sprung mattress is the most popular type of spring bedding and combines an effective design with traditional craftsmanship.
It can be personalized to your taste and needs thanks to the different wraps used around the springs, which will affect how firm it feels.
They are also essential for rotating from time to time, regardless of whether you opt for a pocket sprung or not.
Traditionalists will love the way that this type of mattress conforms to their body, whilst others who want a more solid sleeping surface may prefer memory foam technology.
Either way, you should be able to find something that suits your needs, and the mattress making a good night’s sleep much easier than before.