Silk pillowcases are becoming a widely popular replacement to the traditional cotton pillowcase. They are so beneficial due to the smooth, non-allergenic, and naturally antibacterial properties of silk.
The Best UK Silk Pillowcases 2021
1. Silk natural white silk pillowcase
Silk natural white silk pillowcase is a luxurious 100% pure mulberry silk bedding product. It is a natural and organic pillowcase that is an alternative to cotton pillowcases, which can irritate sleep and while you are awake.
2. Slip silk pink queen envelope pillowcase
Slip silk pink envelope pillowcase is a luxurious 100% pure mulberry silk bedding product. The pillowcase is designed to help you sleep better and protect your skin from wrinkles.
Best: Envelope, anti-allergy
3. The White Company pure silk pillowcase
The White Company pure silk pillowcase is a luxurious 100% pure mulberry silk pillowcase. It is made of the finest mulberry silk, which is soft and helps regulate your body temperature.
Best: Natural feel, smoothness
4. Only Curls silk pillowcase, black
Only Curls silk pillowcase, black is a 12.5% mulberry silk bedding product designed to reduce hair frizz and provide a longer-lasting volume in your hair. It also prevents split ends and dryness from your hair.
Best: Durability, anti-allergy
5. Silk Works London mulberry silk pillowcase, ivory
Silk Works London mulberry silk pillowcase, ivory is a 100% pure mulberry silk product. It is designed to be durable with anti-allergy properties and helps reduce the appearance of aging signs on your face during sleep.
Best: Natural feel, smoothness
Best Silk Pillowcases for Various Purposes
All of the above silk pillowcases are great for providing you with a better night’s sleep. However, below we list some additional silk pillowcase benefits and how they can be used:
1. Silk pillowcase with hidden zipper for traveling
A silk pillowcase with a hidden zipper is a great option for people who hate the idea of sleeping on a plane or taking a long road trip.
2. Affordable silk pillowcase
For students, a silk pillowcase can be beneficial due to them not needing to worry about their hair frizzing or having split ends when they wake up.
3. Silk pillowcase for a gift
A silk pillowcase is a thoughtful gift for anyone to receive. Not only are they useful, but they are also good for your skin and hair.
Silk Pillowcase Beauty Secret
Everyone is constantly trying to find the best beauty product out there. However, some people don’t realize that the products they are using might be detrimental to their skin and hair.
Using a silk pillowcase can help improve the overall appearance of your face and hair. Below are some of its beauty secrets:
I. Reducing dryness on your face
Putting your face next to cotton sucks the moisture off of it. Whereas putting your face next to a silk pillowcase helps retain its natural oils and hydration.
II. Reducing hair frizz
Cotton pillowcases are good for absorbing hair oils which can make your hair get frizzy faster. However, silk pillowcases help absorb the moisture in the air, which prevents your hair from getting frizzy.
III. Preventing split ends
A cotton pillowcase is much rougher than a silk pillowcase; therefore, it can lead to split ends in your hair due to them rubbing against it when you sleep. Silk pillowcases are much softer than they don’t cause this problem.
IV. Protecting your hair color
If you dye your hair, then a cotton pillowcase can really affect its appearance. Cotton is not as smooth as silk, so it can lead to the dye rubbing onto your face, which will cause staining. Whereas, with a silk pillowcase, this problem is eliminated.
V. Reducing wrinkles on your face
Your skin needs oxygen to remain hydrated, which can be prevented by using cotton. Silk pillowcases are much smoother and provide better air ventilation to your face. Therefore it can maintain its natural moisture level despite being covered up for hours.
Why Use a Silk Pillowcase?
The benefits of using a silk pillowcase over conventional cotton are extensive:
- Durability- A silk pillowcase is strong and does not fray at the seams. The quality of the material allows you to use the same silk pillowcase for years on end without worrying about damage or staining.
- Hypoallergenic- Silk resists dust, mildew, and mold. This makes it perfect for people who suffer from allergies or asthma. Cotton absorbs moisture, bacteria and is susceptible to mildew which causes damage to the cotton fibers. These allergens can be harmful to your health by causing respiratory distress.
- Strength- The strength of silk allows it to last long without tearing or losing shape even after many uses and washes.
- Cooling- A silk pillowcase does not absorb moisture. Cotton retains moisture which tends to make one sweat. This allows the natural process of evaporation to cool down your head, neck, and shoulders while you sleep.
- Elasticity- Silk is very elastic, so it can stretch with your movement during your beauty sleep without breaking. This helps prevent tension on the hair and scalp, which can cause damage such as split ends and breakage.
- Shine- Silk reflects light, helping you maintain a healthy glow while you sleep even through the darkest hours.
Why Use Organic Silk?
Organic silk is gaining popularity as well due to its naturally occurring antibacterial properties. It is made from the cocoons of silkworms which are fed organic mulberry leaves. These silkworms are not exposed to chemical pesticides or fertilizers.
The Type of Silk in your Silk Pillowcase
The type of silk in your pillowcase is essential as it directly impacts the quality and durability of your silk. Typically a silk item labels itself as either “Reeled” or “Broken.”Reeled refers to silk that has been twisted by machines from spun silk filaments called raw reeled cotton. Broken refers to the process of unraveling silk to produce shorter filaments.
The two major types of silk used in pillowcases are mulberry and bombyx.
- Mulberry silk is produced from a cultivated white mulberry tree. The mulberry silk pillowcase is car superior to its counterpart as it has fewer imperfections and irregularities. It also tends to last longer, and its quality remains consistent even after years of use.
- Bombyx, also known as “wild” silk, is made from the Bombyx mori, a silkworm that feeds on the tree’s leaves. Bombyx usually has more irregularities and flaws due to the inherent nature of wild silk, which results in low quality after a shorter period of time.
What Is The Difference Between Raw Silk Fabric and Reeled Silk Fabric?
Reeled silk refers to silk that has been twisted by machines from spun silk filaments called raw reeled cotton. The reeled process produces longer, stronger threads of silk.
Raw refers to silk that has not been processed or twisted in any way by machine, resulting in shorter and weaker threads. The raw process produces rougher material that is best used for certain types of clothing.
What’s the difference between silk and satin pillowcases?
Silk is naturally smoother than satin, making it more ideal for sleeping, while satin makes a better choice of decoration. Typically, a silk pillowcase will have a higher cost than a satin pillowcase because it has become trendy and in-demand among consumers.
Does the Thread Count Matter?
Thread count means nothing when determining the quality of a silk pillowcase because the quality of the silk is not measured in thread count. Stores often use thread counts to hide the poor quality of their products, but this does not mean that it does not exist on high-end brands.
Why Does Silk Pillow Cover Cost More Than Cotton?
The cost of a silk pillow cover has nothing to do with its quality, despite what many retailers tell you. Silk is a luxury item, so it is priced as such, which means that most silk pillow covers cost more than the same-sized cotton cover.
What Ingredients Are In Silk Pillow Covers?
Silk pillow covers are usually made from 100% pure silk.
Do Silk Pillow Covers Have an Odor?
Many people believe that silk pillow covers have a strong odor when they are new, but this is usually due to the dye. The dye used in many fabrics can be quite toxic and will often emit fumes from being unwrapped from its packaging. This is usually only for a short period of time but can take up to 48 hours to dissipate completely.
The Benefits of Sleeping on a Silk Pillowcase
- Helps your hair and skin: The natural moisture in silk is great for personal care and helps with anti-wrinkle properties. Not only does it keep the humidity levels in the fibers high, but it also allows them to breathe better. Silk also reduces frizzing of your hair, which can happen during dry weather conditions.
- Decreases wrinkles: Sleeping on silk can positively affect your skin as sleeping on cotton will roll the wrinkles into them, which leads to permanent creases in your face throughout the day. Silk, however, allows your face to breathe, which decreases these effects over time.
- Keeps your face and neck from getting oily: Many face problems, such as acne, can relate to the pillowcases you use. This is because silk absorbs most of the oils that you have on your face while at the same time allowing it to breathe. Oily pillowcases have been known to transfer these oils into your skin which causes blemishes to form on your face.
- Silk pillowcases are hypoallergenic: The reason for this is due to its smooth texture, which allows it to be easily cleaned and does not collect dust mites because it can get rid of them easier.
- Reduces pain: Silk pillowcases help reduce any pain you might get in the top of your head or around your eye area. This is because silk pillowcases are very thin, allowing pressure to be dispersed more evenly while sleeping, decreasing strain on the certain face and head areas.
- Maintains humidity: Silk pillowcases maintain moisture levels by keeping the silk high in humidity to prevent wrinkles. This is because your face constantly emits water and needs to be maintained with certain moisturizers that allow collagen regeneration.
How To Care for your Silk Pillowcase
- When laundering your silk pillowcases, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure that any chemicals or bleaching agents do not damage them.
- Do not use sponges or abrasive materials to clean them because this will damage the silk fibers.
- Only wash pure silk pillowcases with other silk items to reduce friction which will cause the fibers to tear.
- Hand washing is recommended.
Silk Product Packaging and Presentation
Silk pillowcases are generally packaged in a clear plastic bag with a handle at the top, which allows you to hang them up for storage easily. Many manufacturers use a separate box or bag that is usually coordinated by the color of the case.
Silk Pillowcase and Price Point
Silk pillowcases can be found in various options, sizes, and styles, depending on the manufacturer or retailer. Many retailers offer silk pillowcases at a starting price of £30(Great Britain pound). The more expensive pillowcases are usually handmade and of high quality.
Why should you try a silk pillowcase?
They can provide natural and healthy moisture for your hair and skin while you sleep. This will decrease the chances of developing irritation or infection by creating an optimal sleeping environment.
Silk pillowcases are quickly becoming popular due to their fashionable look, durability, and affordability, making them popular. The natural silk fibers are extremely soft, so they are preferred for sleeping over cotton or other materials found on traditional pillowcases.
What’s momme silk, and how much of it do I want in my silk pillowcase?
The momme weight scale refers to the weight of 1000 silk cocoons in pounds. The silk with a higher momme weight will typically be softer than lower momme weights, and it is best to look for silk that falls between 30-35.
Jasmine silk pillowcase
These pillowcases are 100% pure silk wade in China and typically retail for ££15.99(Great Britain pound). These cases are designed to eliminate any tangling or pulling of your hair. At the same time, you sleep by providing a protective barrier that repels the dust mites and other particles commonly found in your bed.
This will also eliminate any strain you might feel around your hair or face while you sleep, leading to the development of wrinkles and other signs of aging over time.
Overall, the majority of consumers who used these products were delighted with their quality and performance. One consumer stated that they preferred silk pillowcases because they felt more natural against their face while sleeping, making them feel refreshed when they woke up in the morning.
Another customer said that after using their product for a week, they noticed that their skin had become smoother, wrinkles were less noticeable, and it felt softer to the touch. Many consumers have also stated that they are impressed with the affordability of these products, which makes them very cost-effective for many households on a tight budget.
The benefits of using a silk pillowcase outweigh the downfalls, and in my opinion, they are worth investing in if you want to improve your sleep. They will provide you with a more restful and comfortable night’s sleep that everyone can enjoy. You will wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated the next morning, which will increase your productivity throughout the day.
So what are you waiting for? Give silk pillowcases a shot if you want to improve your sleep today!